Tom Marjerison handles personal injury litigation, insurance coverage and criminal defense matters in state and federal courts. Tom’s cases have ranged from the successful defense and acquittal of a physician charged in federal court with multiple counts of unlawful distribution of controlled substances in United States v. Hoffman to the Maine Law Court’s adoption of the implied co-insured doctrine in North River Insurance Co. v. Snyder. He has also successfully represented clients in a number of important tort and insurance coverage decisions issued by the Maine Law Court and United States District Court.
Tom earned a B.A. with honors from Connecticut College, and a J.D. from the University of Maine School of Law, where he was an Associate Editor of the Maine Law Review. Following graduation, Tom served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Maine where he prosecuted criminal cases and was a frequent instructor at the Maine State Police Academy and Maine Criminal Justice Academy.
In 1998, Tom was appointed to serve as a Legal Specialist to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague. At the International Criminal Tribunal, he advised the Prosecutor on the prosecution of war criminals in Bosnia-Herzegovina. In 2010, Tom served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Maine School of Law where he taught Criminal Procedure – Investigations.
Tom is a former Chairman of the Criminal Law Section of the Maine State Bar Association and was a member of the Advisory Committee on the Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure from 1999-2009. Presently, he is a member of the Cumberland County and the Maine State Bar Associations, the Maine Trial Lawyers Association, the Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and the Defense Research Institute. Tom is listed in Best Lawyers’ in America for personal injury litigation.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Gignoux Inns of Court, Member
- Criminal Law Section of the Maine State Bar Association, Chair
- Advisory Committee on the Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure, Member
Selected Reported Cases
- Inkel v. Livingston, 2005 ME 42, 869 A.2d 745.
- North River Ins. Co. v. Snyder, 2002 ME 146, 804 A.2d 399.
- Bealieau v. Aube Corporation, 2002 ME 79, 796 A.2d 683.
- Acadia Ins. Company v. Keiser Industries, Inc., 2002 ME 57, 793 A.2d 495.
- Anderson v. Virginia Surety, 985 F.Supp. 182 (D.Me. 1998).
- Gniadek v. Camp Sunshine, 2011 ME 11, 11 A.3rd 308
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for 2014 (since 2008)
- Identified among the New England Super Lawyers (2012 – 2013)
- Identified as a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation for 2013 and 2014
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America – Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants 2020