Steve Moriarty joined Norman, Hanson & DeTroy in 1981 and has focused his practice in the area of workers’ compensation defense. Throughout this period of time he has provided counsel and representation to commercial and municipal clients, self-insured employers, insurance companies, and diverse employers before the Maine Workers’ Compensation Board, both at hearing and on appeal. His work involves anticipating problems before they arise and identifying key issues and defenses to be raised. He works closely with business owners, human resource managers, and other employer representatives to gather information and to identify and prepare witnesses essential for hearing.
Steve co-authored the Maine Employer’s Guide: Worker’s Compensation, published in several editions by Northern New England Law Publishers, Inc. He is a regular featured speaker at Comp Summit, the State’s largest workers’ compensation seminar, and frequently presents at other seminars including the Maine Human Resources Convention. Steve has served as editor of the firm’s quarterly newsletter for many years, and regularly publishes summaries of current decisions from the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and the Workers’ Compensation Board Appellate Division.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland Town Council, 1987-1993, 1997-2013 (elected Chairman 7 times)
- Maine State House of Representatives, 2012-2014 (member Judiciary Committee)
- Cumberland Planning Board, 2015 to present (elected Chairman in 2016 – 2018)
- Maine House of Representatives, 2019 to present (Innovation, Development, Economic Advancement, and Business Committee)
Selected Reported Cases
- Urrutia v. Interstate Brands International, 2018 ME 24, 179 A.3d 312.
- Henderson v. Town of Windsor, Me.W.C.B. No. 17-46 (App. Div. 2017).
- Johnson v. Me. Dep’t. of Transport., Me.W.C.B. No. 17-32 (App. Div. 2017).
- Peaslee v. South Portland School Department, Me.W.C.B. No. 16-17 (App. Div. 2016).
- Delano v. City of South Portland, Me.W.C.B. No. 13-11 (App. Div. 2013).
- Mitton v. Verizon, 2012 ME 41, 38 A.3d 1285.
- Pearson v. Freeport School Department, 2006 ME 78,900 A.2d 728.
- Allen v. Bath Iron Works Corp., 1999 ME 57, 728 A.2d 121.
- Tracy v. Hershey Creamery Co., 1998 ME 247, 720 A.2d 579.
- Harvie v. Bath Iron Works Corp., 561 A.2d 1023 (Me. 1989).
- Hird v. Bath Iron Works Corp., 512 A.2d 1035 (Me. 1986).
Awards, Merits & Honors
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 1997
- Recognized by Best Lawyers since 2008
- Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for 2014, 2016, 2018 in Workers’ Compensation – Employers
- Recognized by Cumberland/North Yarmouth Lions Club as “Citizen of the Year” in 2008