Samuel G. Johnson practices with the firm’s litigation group with a primary focus on automobile casualty and premises liability personal injury claims, commercial liability, insurance coverage, and construction disputes. Sam is a skilled trial advocate who has successfully represented clients in small claims matters, bench trials, jury trials, and before the Maine Law Court. Sam was recognized in the Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” in 2021 and again in 2022 for his work in insurance law.
Before joining Norman, Hanson & DeTroy, Sam served as a law clerk to Justice Donald G. Alexander of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. He graduated from the University of Maine School of Law where he served as the executive editor of the Maine Law Review and as a teaching assistant for two legal writing and civil procedure courses. During law school, Sam interned at the United States Attorney’s Office in both the Appellate and Criminal divisions. He also assisted low-income Mainers with a variety of legal issues as a student attorney at the Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic.
Prior to law school, Sam graduated from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, where he studied economics and was a four year member of the ice hockey team. He returned to Maine following graduation, at which time he managed a seasonal seafood restaurant and worked for a restoration company in Scarborough.
Sam lives in his hometown of Portland with his wife, Lydia, and their daughter. In his free time, Sam enjoys playing hockey, golfing, and exploring the outdoors.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- United States District Court, District of Maine
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Member, Past and Present
- American Bar Association, Member
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Are You My Mother? A Critique of the Requirements for De Facto Parenthood in Maine Following the Law Court’s Decision in Pitts v. Moore, 67 Me. L. Rev. 353 (2015)
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” for 2021 and 2022 for Insurance Law
- Laurie A. Gibson Award for Excellence, 2016
- Pro Bono Publico Award, 2016
- Faculty Significant Achievement Award, 2016