Russell Pierce counsels and represents businesses, non-profit organizations, and individuals in a broad civil litigation practice throughout the state of Maine and in the First Circuit Court of Appeals. Individuals and businesses from other states also often turn to Russ for handling this broad range of cases – matters such as class actions, complex business litigation, professional negligence and malpractice defense, tort and contract law, property rights, product liability, constitutional law and civil rights, First Amendment rights and defamation claims, and environmental and conservation law. He currently represents one of Maine’s leading environmental organizations.
In providing legal counsel to diverse clients in matters both straightforward and complex for nearly 30 years, Russ has participated in the determination of a number of legal issues that have shaped the course of law in Maine. Throughout his career, Russ has been engaged in the field of alternative dispute resolution, representing clients in private arbitrations or performing the role of arbitrator. He is also available to convene mediations in virtually any type of civil action.
Russ has written numerous articles and often lectures on a broad range of legal topics, including the topic of attorney ethics and professional responsibility.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Selected Reported Cases
- Steamship Navigation Company v. Camden National Bank, 2006 ME 11, 889 A.2d 1014.
- Hale v. Antoniou, 2003 ME 52, 820 A.2d 586.
- County Forest Products, Inc. v. Green Mountain Agency, Inc., et al.,
2000 ME 161, 758 A.2d 59.
- Acadia Insurance Co. v. Buck Construction Co., 2000 ME 154, 756 A.2d 515.
- Todd v. Andalkar, 1997 ME 59, 691 A.2d 1215.
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for 2014 (since 2012)
- Noted as “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for 2014 in Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Specially mentioned as a “Key Individual” by Chambers & Partners for 2013
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America – Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law, Product Liability Litigation (Defendants), Professional Malpractice Law (Defendants) 2020
- “Lawyer of the Year” Best Lawyers – Product Liability Litigation (Defendants) 2020