Karissa Davan joined Norman, Hanson and DeTroy in 2020. Her practice with the firm is focused on workers’ compensation defense.
In 2014, Karissa relocated with her family to Maine. In Maine she worked as an attorney with the Maine Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation (OPOR). With OPOR, she was responsible for the Complaint Office and various rule making activities. Before moving to Maine, Karissa served as an Assistant Attorney General with the North Carolina Department of Justice handling workers’ compensation defense for the state. Karissa was certified as a North Carolina Workers’ Compensation specialist in 2012. She served on the North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Section Council for the North Carolina Bar Association, and as a Raleigh Teen Court Judge and mentor.
Before joining the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office, Karissa served as the Director of Claims Administration for the North Carolina Industrial Commission. During that time, she served as Co-Chair of the Forms Task Force and was a certified continuing education trainer through the North Carolina Department of Insurance. Karissa began her workers’ compensation career as an Agency Legal Specialist with the North Carolina Industrial Commission. Prior to moving to North Carolina, Karissa had a private practice in Carlsbad, California.
Karissa holds active licenses in Maine, North Carolina and California and is licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court. Karissa completed internships in law school with the California Department of Justice, San Diego Juvenile Probation Department and the California Department of Alternate Defense. Karissa attended Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California and has a bachelor of science from Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville, Tennessee.
Karissa lives with her husband in Phippsburg Maine and they have one child. Karissa is a licensed land and sea pilot and a gardening enthusiast.
Admitted to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- State Bar of Maine
- State Bar of North Carolina
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
Member, Past and Present
- Maine Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Winslow Park Commission, Past Co-Chair
- Maine Delta Gamma Alumni Association, Past President
- Katahdin Wings Chapter, Ninety Nines, Chair
- Junior League Sustainer
- North Carolina Guardian Ad Litem
- Raleigh Teen Court Judge
- North Carolina Alzheimer’s Association Board of Directors
- Volunteer North Carolina Zoo, past wildlife rehabilitator
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind, past puppy raiser