John Geismar works with taxpayers in tax planning and structuring transactions, and represents businesses and individual clients in audit appeals to the Internal Revenue Service in the United States Tax Court. A recent trial resulted in a client saving nearly $1.5 million in state and federal taxes, interest and penalties. Another recently concluded settlement in advance of trial resulted in the determination of valid deductions resulting in state and federal tax savings exceeding $1.5 million dollars.
The extent of John’s tax practice includes advising business organizations on the tax aspects of entity formation, governance, transactions, operations and asset acquisition finance and business entity taxation. He integrates commercial real estate and tax planning in a well-developed practice that designs and serves as a Qualified Intermediary in connection with Tax Deferred Exchanges under Internal Revenue Code Section 1031.
John serves as counsel to a health care system in Lewiston, Maine which includes an acute care hospital, one of the largest nursing homes in the State and an integrated physician practice. He advises the Board of Directors in corporate governance and compliance matters and oversees contracting initiatives for the health system. This work involves dealing routinely with State and Federal regulators, and with issues regarding medical staff, health care finance and operational matters.
John represents lenders in commercial transactions and counsels small and large businesses including family held businesses with respect to operations, real estate planning, development and finance, tax and ownership succession matters, and estate planning.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Member, Past and Present
- Advocates for Children, Board Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Androscoggin County Bar Association, Member
- Appalachian Mountain Club, Member
- Boys and Girls Club of Southern Maine Board, Member
- Kieve-Wavus Education, Board Member & Secretary
- Lewiston Mill Redevelopment Finance Committee, Member
- Maine Audubon, Member
- Maine Bar Foundation, Board Member
- Maine Board of Bar Overseers, Fee Arbitration Panel Chair
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- St. Joseph’s School Board, Member
- Town of Minot Planning Board, Chair
- Tri-County Mental Health Services Board, Member
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for 2014 (since 2009)