A Winslow, Maine native, John Veilleux graduated from Colby College with a B.A., with distinction, in American Studies in 1993. In the several years following his graduation from Colby, John gained a wealth of business and managerial experience as a business manager operating franchises for a national franchising company based in Watertown, Massachusetts. John returned to Maine to attend law school at the University of Maine School of Law, graduating in 1999. At Maine Law, John was immediately drawn to the challenges of litigation, and he competed on the school’s trial team, which went on to participate in the national competition after a successful run in the New England competition. John was also a Prize Arguer on the Moot Court Team, which won the Moot Court Trilateral competition.
John is a member of NHD’s Management Committee, previously serving as the Chair of the General Litigation Group. In mid-2020, John was elected as the firm’s Managing Partner. He took over that role formally on January 1, 2021 when longtime NHD Managing Partner Steve Hessert retired.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Property Loss Research Bureau, Member
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Gignoux Inn of Court, Past Member
- Casco Bay Arena, Inc., President
- Casco Bay Hockey Association, Board of Directors, Past President
- Yarmouth Hockey Boosters, Board of Directors
Selected Reported Cases
- Tungate v. Gardner, 2002 ME 85, 797 A.2d 738.
- Budzko v. One City Center, 2001 ME 37, 767 A.2d 310.
- State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Koshy, 2010 ME 44, 995 A.2d 651.
- Lo v. Enterprise Rent-A-Car Co. of Boston, Inc., 2010 ME 114, 8 A.3d 637.
- Travelers Indem. Co. v. Bryant, 2012 ME 38, 38 A.3d 1267.
Awards, Honors & Merits
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America since 2010
- Identified among the New England Rising Stars (2009 – 2010)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Best Lawyers – Insurance Law- 2015
- Martindale Hubbell A-V Peer Review Rating
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America – Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation (Defendants) 2020