A Winslow, Maine native, John Veilleux graduated from Colby College with a B.A., with distinction, in American Studies. In the several years following his graduation from Colby, John gained a wealth of business and managerial experience as a business manager operating franchises for a national franchising company based in Watertown, Massachusetts. John returned to Maine to attend law school at the University of Maine School of Law. At Maine Law, John was immediately drawn to the challenges of litigation, and he competed on the school’s trial team, which went on to participate in the national competition after a successful run in the New England competition. John was also a Prize Arguer on the Moot Court Team, which won the Moot Court Trilateral competition.
John focuses his litigation practice on automobile casualty and premises liability personal injury claims, commercial liability, timber trespass, and construction disputes. He is an experienced trial advocate and is particularly skilled in preparing and arguing general civil and commercial cases before juries. He is a member of the Maine Trial Lawyers Association, the Property Loss Research Bureau and a past member of the Gignoux Inns of Court, in addition to the Maine State and Cumberland County Bar Associations. John is also a past member and Secretary of the University of Maine School Law’s Board of Directors.
John recently attained Martindale Hubbell’s highest peer review rating of A-V. He has been selected by his peers since 2010 for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America publication in the practice areas of Personal Injury – Defense and Insurance Law. John was also named a 2009 and 2010 Rising Star by the New England Super Lawyers publication.
John is a longtime member of the Casco Bay Hockey Association’s Board of Directors, having most recently served as its President for 7 years up until 2016. Casco Bay Hockey is the State of Maine’s largest non-profit youth hockey organization with more than 800 youth hockey players and 150 volunteer coaches. Together with Tom Marjerison, John planned, built, and founded Casco Bay Arena, Inc. in Falmouth, Maine. Casco Bay Arena is a non-profit ice hockey rink completed in October 2015 serving as the home of Casco Bay Hockey and providing affordable ice time to many local, non-profit school hockey programs including those from Falmouth, Yarmouth, Greely, Cape Elizabeth, and the Southern Maine Middle School Hockey League. CBA also hosts the 1st-ever high school boys JV League with 10 teams playing there every Friday night. John currently serves as the arena President, and Norman Hanson & DeTroy, LLC is a Gold Medal Donor and sponosor to the arena. Finally, John is active on the Board of the Yarmouth Hockey Boosters, serving as its President.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Property Loss Research Bureau, Member
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Gignoux Inn of Court, Past Member
- Casco Bay Arena, Inc., President
- Casco Bay Hockey Association, Board of Directors, Past President
- Yarmouth Hockey Boosters, Board of Directors
Selected Reported Cases
- Tungate v. Gardner, 2002 ME 85, 797 A.2d 738.
- Budzko v. One City Center, 2001 ME 37, 767 A.2d 310.
- State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Koshy, 2010 ME 44, 995 A.2d 651.
- Lo v. Enterprise Rent-A-Car Co. of Boston, Inc., 2010 ME 114, 8 A.3d 637.
- Travelers Indem. Co. v. Bryant, 2012 ME 38, 38 A.3d 1267.
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America since 2010
- Identified among the New England Rising Stars (2009 – 2010)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Best Lawyers – Insurance Law- 2015
- Martindale Hubbell A-V Peer Review Rating