John King joined Norman Hanson DeTroy in 1982 and developed his practice in both civil litigation and workers’ compensation cases. Now his counsel and representation are primarily focused on insured and self-insured employers, third party administrators and insurance companies in the management of complex employment situations and the resolution of workers’ compensation matters. Many of John’s large self-insured employers operate under collective bargaining agreements which require coordination of Maine and federal statutes and employment rights and obligations under those collective bargaining agreements. John’s counsel assists his clients’ human resource professionals to comply and manage what can become complex problems. Clients also appreciate his particular expertise in the defense of human rights, ADA and labor arbitration claims.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- New Mexico
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Maine Fee Arbitration Commission of the Board of Bar Overseers, Member
- Maine Fee Arbitration Commission of the Board of Bar Overseers, Panel Chair (2003-2006)
- Maine Fee Arbitration Commission of the Board of Bar Overseers, Commission Chair (2006)
Selected, Reported Cases
- Bailey v. City of Lewiston, 2017 ME 160.
- Fournier v. Aetna, Inc., 2006 ME 71, 899 A.2d 787.
- Bernard v. Mead Pub. Paper Div. , 2001 ME 15, 765 A.2d 576.
- Lamphier v. Bath Iron Works Corp., 2000 ME 121, 755 A.2d 489.
- Williams v. E.S. Boulos Co., 2000 ME 40, 747 A.2d 181.
- Libby v. Boise Cascade Corp., 1998 ME 89, 709 A.2d 737.
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for 2013 – 2018
- Identified among the New England Super Lawyers (2011 – to date)
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America – Workers’ Compensation Law 2020