James Poliquin counsels and represents businesses and individual clients in the resolution of insurance coverage conflicts and the litigation of a wide range of commercial contracts and transactions disputes.
Jim received his JD degree from the University of Maine School of Law in 1981. He has argued approximately 70 cases before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and First Circuit Court of Appeals addressing issues relating to insurance coverage, principles of tort law, real property and commercial disputes and administrative and regulatory matters. Several of the cases in the insurance area established precedent on issues relating to the duty to defend, the relationship between insurers, waiver of subrogation, and the meaning of various exclusions and other policy provisions.
Jim is consistently selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Chambers, USA and New England Super Lawyers. He is a frequent speaker at Maine State Bar Association sponsored events and has presented at MSBA seminars on more than 30 occasions.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
Selected Reported Cases
- York Ins. Co. of Maine, Inc. v. Superintendent of Insurance, 2004 ME 45, 845 A.2d 1155.
- Peerless Ins. Co. v. Progressive Ins. Co., 2003 ME 66, 822 A.2d 1125.
- Crosby v. Baizley, 642 A.2d 150 (Me. 1994).
- Peerless Ins. Co. v. Brennan, 564 A.2d 383 (Me. 1989).
- Otis Elevator Co. v. F.W. Cunningham, 454 A.2d 335 (Me. 1983).
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers since 2005
- Identified among the New England Super Lawyers (2007 to present)
- Specially mentioned as a “Key Individual” by Chambers & Partners
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America – Appellate Practice, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation (Defendants) 2020
- Ranked AV Preeminent for the last 25 years in Martindale-Hubbell
- “Lawyer of the Year” Best Lawyers – Appellate Practice (2020)