James Poliquin counsels and represents businesses and individual clients in the resolution of insurance coverage conflicts and the litigation of a wide range of commercial contracts and transactions disputes.
Jim has argued more than 50 cases before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and First Circuit Court of Appeals addressing issues relating to insurance coverage, principles of tort law, real property disputes and administrative and regulatory matters. Several of the cases in the insurance area established precedent on issues relating to the duty to defend, the relationship between insurers, waiver of subrogation, and the meaning of various exclusions and other policy provisions.
Jim was selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Chambers, USA and New England Super Lawyers.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
Selected Reported Cases
- York Ins. Co. of Maine, Inc. v. Superintendent of Insurance, 2004 ME 45, 845 A.2d 1155.
- Peerless Ins. Co. v. Progressive Ins. Co., 2003 ME 66, 822 A.2d 1125.
- Crosby v. Baizley, 642 A.2d 150 (Me. 1994).
- Peerless Ins. Co. v. Brennan, 564 A.2d 383 (Me. 1989).
- Otis Elevator Co. v. F.W. Cunningham, 454 A.2d 335 (Me. 1983).
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for 2014 (since 2005)
- Identified among the New England Super Lawyers (2007 – 2013)
- Specially mentioned as a “Key Individual” by Chambers & Partners for 2013