Daniel Cummings is a commercial lawyer who enjoys a varied practice involving all aspects of commercial law and real estate, with a focus on dispute resolution and litigation, including representation in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, U.S. District Court, U.S. Tax Court, and the Maine Probate Court. He also has represented clients in appeals filed in the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the First Circuit, and the First Circuit Court of Appeals. Dan’s expertise includes debtor-creditor law matters, including commercial insolvency, bankruptcy, workouts and collections.
A significant part of Dan’s practice also includes over 30 years of working with credit unions involving most aspects of credit union operations, including contract review, payment systems, regulatory compliance, mergers, field of membership, repossessions, and foreclosures. Dan regularly counsels various credit unions in Maine and serves as Counsel to the Maine Credit Union League.
Dan has served for over 20 years on the Board of Directors of Project Opportunity, Inc., a nonprofit organization in Bethel, Maine serving the students of SAD 44 and has also provided pro bono services for over 20 years to Grahamtastic Connection, a nonprofit organization in Sanford, Maine that provides free laptop computers and internet to children with cancer and other serious illnesses.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Member, Past and Present
- Phi Kappa Phi, Alpha Lambda Delta, Member
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Maine Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
Selected Reported Cases
- Jasper v. Bowdoinham Federal Credit Union, 325 B.R. 50 (Bankr.D. Me. 2005).
- Jamo v. Katahdin Federal Credit Union, 283 F.3d 392 (1st Cir. 2002).
- Shapiro v. Haenn, 222 F. Supp. 2d 29 (D. Me. 2002).
- Maine Family Federal Credit Union v. Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada, 727 A.2d 335 (Me. 1999).
- St. Agatha Federal Credit Union v. Ouellette, 722 A.2d 858 (Me. 1998).
- Oceanic Inn, Inc., et al. v. Sloan’s Cove, LLC, 2016 WL 701111 (Me. 2016)