Chris Taintor is a 1983 graduate of the University of Southern Maine and a 1986 graduate of the University of Maine School of Law. His practice focuses primarily on the representation of healthcare organizations and professionals in the courts and before administrative agencies.
Chris represents hospitals and other healthcare organizations in malpractice suits, in the defense of discrimination claims, in judicial and agency proceedings arising from privacy breaches, and in a variety of governmental enforcement actions. He also counsels and defends individual practitioners – including physicians, nurses, dentists, pharmacists, and therapists – when they face challenges to their licensure, clinical privileges, and participation in private and public payer networks.
Chris also advises and supports individuals, including healthcare professionals, whose livelihoods are threatened by disability. This area of his practice includes advocacy for clients who have claims for long-term disability insurance benefits and those who require accommodations from their employers or from government agencies.
In addition to his health care practice, Chris represents employers and employees in a wide range of industries, prosecuting and defending “whistleblower” cases and claims of discrimination on the basis of disability and sex. He also maintains an active appellate practice, having briefed and argued dozens of cases before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Maine
- U.S. Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Member, Past and Present
- Maine State Bar Association, Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Maine Bar Foundation, Trustee
- Advisory Committee for the Volunteer Lawyers Project, Chair
Selected Reported Cases
- Mitchell v. Kieliszek, 2006 ME 70, 900 A.2d 719.
- Brown v. Thaler, 2005 ME 75, 880 A.2d 1113.
- Geary v. Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services, 2003 ME 151, 838 A.2d 1162.
- Palmer Development Corp. v. Gordon, 1999 ME 22, 723 A.2d 881.
- Lalonde v. Central Maine Med. Ctr., 2017 ME 22, 155 A.3d 426
- Estate of Boulier v. Presque Isle Nursing Home, 2014 ME 22, 86 A.3d 1169
- Leavitt v. Correctional Medical Services, Inc., 645 F.3d 484, 489 (1st Cir. 2011)
- Doe v. Graham, 2009 ME 88, 977 A.2d 391
- Dragomir v. Spring Harbor Hospital, 2009 ME 51, 970 A.2d 310
- Anderson v. O’Rourke, 2008 ME 42, ¶ 1, 942 A.2d 680, 681
Awards, Merits & Honors
- Specially mentioned as a “Key Individual” by Chambers & Partners for 2013